Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Farming and Running

THE FARM!


I am trying to come up with a cool connection between farming and running, but all I got is that they are both hard work. Pretty lame, considering farming is REALLY hard work 24/7 and running is just kinda' hard sometimes for a little while during the actual act of running. Anyway, the only reason that they are both a part of the same post is because I took a field trip to The Farm and ran a half marathon during the same weekend...

I'll start with The Farm. Some of my Ortho Wives have toddlers who are really into farm animals, tractors and farmers right now. So I thought it would be fun to take a little (budget-friendly) field trip out to the King Family Farm with the kids. Boy was I right! :) The kids loved it and my grandma and dad were wonderful hosts. My dad gave us a tour that included petting Baby, the orphaned calf, riding in the Gator and tractor, and feeding a herd of cattle. The kids were so cute, and even referred to my dad as, "farmer" when talking to him. For example, my dad gave Kinsley a cookie, and she said, "Thanks, Farmer." My grandma cooked an amazing home-cooked meal for everyone which included BBQ beef sandwiches, potato salad, baked beans, apple pie AND her award-winning rolls! I really love spending time at The Farm and I am so happy to be able to share that with my friends!

This is Baby. He is an orphan. He's really sweet and cute!

This is my dad showing the kiddos how sweet Baby is.

Sari and Witt watching the herd of cattle scatter as Kinsley ran towards them.

My dad, the farmer, gave all the kids rides in the tractor!

He also drove everyone around in the Gator, or as Rebecca called it the Gopher or Golf Cart.
During this particular ride, Rebecca, Ella, Sari, Witt and Helen were in the back.
My dad, Catherine and Kinsley were in the front.

The following day, I ran the Rochester Half Marathon. It was my 9th half marathon, and I had a blast. I am already looking forward to my next one and would like to try to find another one this fall if possible. The course was scenic and there was only one hill right at the beginning. Kylie hung out with my mom, Grandma King and Aunt Debbie. They were able to see me at 4 or 5 different spots, which was highly motivating for me. Jon had to work, but made it over to see me cross the finish line! And a bunch of my friends were there supporting me as well. Sari (and her kids), Kristen and Halle, Catherine and Kinsley, and Mel and Mike all made it out. Seeing their smiling faces and hearing their cheers helped me finish strong. I felt so loved! And I beat my goal of 2 hours. I finished in 1 hour and 56 minutes. I was definitely happy with that time, and now I have a new goal for the next one! :)



Thanks for all the love! I love you all too!

1 comment: