Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Our Home Away From Home

While in Florida, we are living in an apartment complex...It is a huge complex that includes about 20 buildings with around 20 apartments per building, 2 swimming pools, tennis courts, a playground, and 2 large "lakes." I use quotations because the "lakes" are actually large retention ponds.
This is the view from our back patio. You can see one of the "lakes" and some of the other apartment buildings across from our building.

Our actual apartment is pretty large. It has 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. The master bedroom is a suite with a large bathroom and a walk-in closet. Kylie is in one of the other bedrooms (they provided a crib for her), and the third is a guest bedroom that probably won't get used until my family comes to visit. The kitchen, dining room, living room area is big and open. The kitchen is much bigger than the one in our house in Rochester! We are on the first floor so we have a patio door that opens to the back and we have a view of the "lake!" All in all, the space is pretty nice...The furniture, however, isn't that great. All of the large furniture items were provided for us, but they have been well used. Jon actually thinks that he has allergies from the bed and/or couch. I'm really glad we brought our own bedding because that helps make the bedroom feel more like home.

When you walk in the front door, this is what you see...The kitchen.

Here is the living room and the patio door. That's Kylie relaxing on the floor!

This is the master bedroom...We brought our own bedding and our fan!

This is the walk-in closet in the master bathroom. It's a pretty good size. I want to go shopping so I can fill it all up!

Here is Kylie's room/one of the guest bedrooms. I brought her fan too!

This is the other guest bedroom.

Here is our front door!

This is the patio door...We even have a little patch of grass!

We take walks around the "lake" on a regular basis. I usually try to do this 2-3 times each day. Our first such walk was an eventful one. Jon and I decided to take a walk with Huey and Kylie on our first night here. We leashed Huey up and strapped Kylie in the stroller and headed out. It was evening and the sun was setting...Apparently that is when all of the creatures come out down here. There were at least a million toads, which Huey loves to chase. There are tons of little lizards too, but those little guys are so quick that Huey usually doesn't even see them. AND on this particular night, there was also a SNAKE! This was the biggest snake I have ever seen in person in the wild...It was a blackish color, about the diameter of a pop can, and approximately 5 feet long!

My friend, Rebecca, warned me that there was a snake at our complex so I was on the look-out. I will say that I didn't really expect to ever see it. Jon was a few steps ahead of me with Huey, and I had Kylie. As we walked past a 3 foot high retention wall, I saw the snake and immediately screamed. Jon didn't see the snake, but heard me scream so he started running away while screaming, "Ahhhh, what is it?" I turned around and ran the other direction. Jon eventually turned around towards me and Kylie, and put Huey on the wall in hopes that he would scare the snake away. HA! That didn't happen, but we did determine that the snake was harmless. I haven't seen him since that first night.

Then as we crossed the bridge over the lake to head back to our apartment, Huey's leash somehow popped Jon's pager off his waistband. Of course, the pager bounced directly off the bridge and into the water. We watched the bubbles float to the top as the pager sank to the bottom. When I looked at Jon, it appeared that he wasn't sure if he should laugh or cry! Luckily, he laughed and was able to get a new pager at work the next day!

With temperatures regularly in the 80's, we also try to go to the swimming pool on a regular basis. The pools are shallow, but perfect for relaxing. There is plenty of shade, so Kylie can hang out in her stroller or car seat while I sit a few feet away from her in the water.

Here is a picture of me playing with Witten on our first trip to the pool!

More Florida adventures to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment