Monday, December 16, 2013

Christmas is Coming!

When we moved to Philadelphia, I wasn't sure what to expect for Christmas. Would there be snow? Would people hang lights? Would I be able to make our apartment feel Christmas-y? Well, it seems that the answer to all of those questions is, a little bit! :)

There WAS snow. It snowed 6 inches a little over a week ago, and then another 4 inches a few days after that. I definitely thought we were in for a white Christmas season around here. But with temperatures fluctuating between 30-50 degrees, it just doesn't stick around for long. There isn't much to show for the 10 inches we had last week!

Some people decorate their house and hang lights, but there are so many apartments and other buildings that there isn't really a cohesive sense of Christmas lighting. There is a huge, massive tree in Rittenhouse Square, which is 3 blocks away, and lots of pretty white lights in the trees there. There is also one street a block away that is lined with trees which are all covered in white lights. Other than that, it's a window here, a railing there, and whole lot of pavement in between!

As for our apartment, it's tiny so it doesn't take much. I only brought one box of Christmas decorations with us because I wasn't sure where I would store any more than that. So we have our little Christmas tree, some lights strung around the apartment, and stockings. I actually felt like we needed a little more, so I did buy some decorations for on top of our cabinets! I think it feels pretty festive, especially when our evergreen tree scented candle is burning! :)

Here are some pictures...

It's hard to see because it's dark, but this is our little Christmas Tree.
It's perched on a window sill so Brooks can't destroy it!

Our stockings!
I made Kylie and Brooks' and I'm planning on making mine and Jon's next year to match!

 The new decorations on top of the cabinets.

 Lights as far as you can see on this festive street!

At Rittenhouse Square.
The tree is straight back of Kylie, and hanging from the trees are cool, Christmas light balls.

 Kylie meeting Santa Claus, and loving every minute of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment