Sunday, February 27, 2011

Jesus Loves Kylie


We recently joined Gloria Dei Lutheran Church in Rochester. We really like it there, as they have a few different contemporary services geared toward our generation. They play fun music (Jon thinks the lead singer sounds like Huey Lewis) and the sermons are excellent. So, we went to our new church today...It was Kylie's first time there. She was a perfect lady! She was awake and HUNGRY when we first arrived. This was the fault of my poor planning. I still haven't mastered getting Kylie and myself ready in an efficient manner. So I had to feed Kylie during the beginning of the service...She was starving. I know this because she ate the most she has ever eaten in the shortest amount of time. I think it was about 4 ounces in 12ish minutes. I only missed the opening song and the childrens' message. She then slept for the rest of the service. We weren't exactly sure how to do communion with a baby so I just brought her up with me. I'm sure I did, but I don't remember going up to communion with my parents as a kid. When you bring your baby/child up with you, she gets a little bit of special attention. The pastor gave Kylie a pat on the head and said, "Jesus loves you!" It warmed my heart!

After church, we had to attend a baptism class because Kylie is getting baptized on March 20th! YAY! Kylie continued to sleep through the entire class....See, she's a perfect, little lady! At the class we talked about how to raise Kylie in a Christian way by teaching her about Christianity, bringing her to church services, teaching her the 10 Commandments, The Lord's Prayer and the Apostle's Creed, reading her the Bible and role modeling Christian characteristics such as love, tolerance, fairness and integrity. I felt energized and motivated to start teaching Kylie right away...And I am really looking forward to Kylie's Baptism Day!

We took pictures of Kylie when we got home from church because her outfit was soooo cute! It was actually the first piece of clothing I bought for her when I was pregnant! I love it!


Kylie is starting to become more and more interactive. She smiles, makes eye contact, likes noises and lifts her head when on her tummy. It is so much fun. I decided it was time to get the play mat out for her so she would have something to look at when she is lying on her back. Here there is a picture of her relaxing on the play mat, and one of her doing "tummy time." She does not love tummy time, but Jon decided that she needs to do it at least 2-3 times each day for 10-15 minutes. :)

I also wanted to post this picture for two reasons. First, she is wearing the outfit that Jon (and by Jon, I really mean Kristen Yuan...Thanks Kristen!) bought her for Valentine's Day! Isn't it adorable with that little tutu?! Second, it is a great picture of her smiling, although I have no idea what she is smiling about!

Finally, I wanted to share the latest adventures in breastfeeding. So Kylie never really learned to breastfeed well, and because I am kind of impatient, I decided to quit trying to get her to do it. I have continued to pump about 8 times a day, and feed Kylie breastmilk from a bottle. There are definitely pros and cons to this decision with the biggest pro being that anyone (Jon, my mom) can feed her and the biggest con being having to stay up a little longer in the middle of the night to pump. BUT I believe that because of pumping, I've built up quite the supply. In fact, I have more than enough! I almost have an entire freezer full of frozen milk (see picture above)! If you have talked to me lately, you have probably realized that I am very proud of this, even though I have no control over it. I am very thankful to be blessed with lots of milk! Anyway, my new plan (although we all know how well my plans work when it comes to Kylie) is to continue to pump until she is on solid foods, probably for 3 to 4 more months. Then I'll use up the frozen milk until it runs out...I think I should have 2 to 3 months worth. So, in the end, she will be on breastmilk until she is about 9 or 10 months old. Even though breastfeeding didn't work out exactly as I had pictured it, the most important thing to me is that she is getting the benefits of breastmilk through most of her first year of life!

I apologize for the lengthy post...I guess there is a lot to share these days! Tomorrow is Kylie's first play date. I think I am waaaaaaaay more excited than she is. I'll take some pictures to share! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

4 comments:

  1. That is great that you joined Gloria Dei! I was baptized,confirmed and we were married there. My parents are still members and very involved with choir, etc. It is a great church! Also...wow on the milk! Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is getting so much bigger and I love her smile in that outfit! I can't believe how much milk that is...way to go Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that smile! My girls didn't like tummy time either in the beginning. And that must be the downstairs freezer :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Emily! I was going to leave some original comments about Kylie's cute smile and your crazy awesome breast milk store, but everyone else already beat me to it. :)

    ReplyDelete