Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Kylie Kristen Barlow--November 19th, 2010


Our little Kylie has quite the arrival story...It's a tale we will never let her forget! It all started on Friday, November 19th, 2010 around 2:30pm. I was teaching 8th grade boys health when I felt a huge rush of fluid...Luckily I was sitting down. I thought maybe I had wet my pants, but when I stood up and saw that I was sitting in a puddle I knew that my water had broke. It definitely caught me by surprise considering I was only 32 weeks pregnant. So, in the middle of our discussion I yelled, "Somebody please go get Mrs. Buchholtz. Tell her it's an emergency." (Mrs. Buchholtz is the spanish teacher and a good friend of mine.) A couple of the boys ran out of the room to go get her, but because there was a girl throwing up in the hallway at the same time, they didn't quite make it before they came back. Finally, I convinced them that my emergency was much more of an emergency than someone throwing up. Mrs. Buchholtz came into the classroom, saw my chair and took over from there. I tied my jacket around my waist and ran to the office. On my way out the door, the boys finally realized that they had gotten the best health lesson of their lives...One of them asked me, "Did something break?" :) Once I got to the office, I called Jon to have him meet me at the hospital...He seemed to be in disbelief because he asked me several times if I was sure I didn't pee my pants! One of the secretaries drove me from Kasson to Rochester. Luckily she was driving a rental car...The passenger seat was soaked by the time we made it to the hospital. Oops!

We were admitted almost immediately because I was a "positive wheelchair," which means that I was once again sitting in a puddle of fluid. For the first hour or so, I was having little contractions, but nothing too painful. So, the first plan was to let Kylie stay in her little oven for up to 2 weeks (34 weeks gestation) or as long as my body would keep her there. At this point, we weren't necessarily expecting to have a baby right away. But by about 7:00pm, when I was in quite a bit more pain and really shaky (apparently that is called, "baby shakes"), we realized that it was inevitable. They hadn't checked my cervix and because everything was moving so quickly, I didn't believe that I needed the epidural yet. I figured I was probably dilated to 1 or 2 cm and I was being a total wimp. They did finally check my cervix and I was at 5cm...Obviously, I requested the epidural immediately. :) As a side note, epidurals are magical and highly recommended! After it was in, I was able to think and interact with people again. Our parents arrived and we were able to chat with them for a little while before it was time to push. By 9:45-10:00pm, I was at 10cm and ready to push...I did, however, have to wait for about 20 minutes because the doctors had to do rounds at 10:00pm. Silly doctors! :)

Well, the silver lining to Kylie's early arrival is that the labor and delivery were fairly easy and not horrifically long or painful like some of the stories I have heard. I pushed for 20 minutes and at 10:43pm Kylie was born! She was beautiful, pink and crying...YAY! At birth, Kylie weighed 4 lbs. 13oz. and was 17.25 inches long. She has lots of dark hair, a chin dimple and her daddy's eyes (I think). The picture was taken shortly after Kylie was born. We think she kind of looks like a cute, little alien in it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment